Thursday 2 May 2013

DAY 5

DAY 5  Thursday 4th April, 2013

Today, woke up at 6am.  It’s already pretty hot in the room.  The sun is blazing down on the metal roof which, combined with small windows, adds to the accumulation of heat.  By 7am it’s raining again.  I’m feeling tired today.  The last few days have been intense.
 
My travelling mosquito net, frame and matress
Material Girl
 
It’s incredibly humbling seeing families living with so few possessions. In the Upper East Region of Ghana 70% of the population live in poverty so this made me think carefully about choosing practical gifts to give to my host family during my stay. 
 
Textiles in Ghana carry a lot of importance so I decided to bring some British materials and, given our family’s Welsh connection, chose to bring Laura Ashley fabrics for both Bridget & Samuel.  They were delighted and, completely by coincidence, had also chosen a piece of African material to give to me to make a traditional Ghanaian dress. 

A Dress in the Making 
 
It’s rare to see readymade clothing in Ghana (except for the plethora of football kits sold in the markets).  As a rule, everything is made to measure and finished by hand from school uniforms to women’s dresses.  I take my material to the local seamstress who asks me to select a style of dress from various pictures, promptly takes my measurements and arranges for the dress to be collected later that day.  

Gifts for the School

Before going out to Ghana we had some fun choosing world maps, writing materials, books and craft supplies to take out to schools in Ghana.  My daughter’s teacher, Kathryn, also arranged for her class to create some personalised book marks to give to the children in West Africa.  The teachers at Lorge are delighted with the new resources and one of the teachers takes coloured cards and pencils to ask his class to create some bookmarks to take back to the children in the UK.

Book marks from African children to children in UK

Girls Football Match

Mid- morning, the Lorge JHS Girls Football Team get ready for a game to demonstrate their footie skills.  The Head Teacher is really proud of his girls’ team and delights in explaining that they have only just received proper football kits.  Despite the intense heat and a severe lack of footwear, it is an exciting match.  One of the best moments was seeing the linesmen improvising with tree branches.
 


Teaching a Class

Late morning I get a chance to teach.  The pupils are eager to learn all about me so we start with by drawing a family tree.  This throws up the subject of marriage and the question… “How many cows do you give when you get married?”   

In Ghana there is a tradition of giving four cows to the bride’s parents. The cows are to help her parents generate an income when the groom takes away a girl who is living at home contributing an income to her family. I find this fascinating because, generally in the UK, it is quite the opposite – we give wedding presents to the bride and groom. Also, I’m sure that in the UK when our children leave home we are, financially speaking, significantly better off!!
 
The Flags of Ghana & Great Britain 

Next we move onto the main lesson, looking at the flags of Ghana and Great Britain.  Drawing the flags on the board we discuss what the colours and designs represent.  This is a really interesting exercise which encapsulates a lot of history including Ghana’s Independence from the British Commonwealth in 1957.
 
YenMah in action!
 
During our open question time we chat about Easter, religious festivals and our tradition of exchanging chocolate eggs.  We then talk about healthy eating comparing vegetables grown in Ghana to those in the UK.  I introduce them to Butternut squash which has recently been introduced into Ghana for cultivation and export.

At the end of the lesson we shake hands and say our names.  I tell them what my name is here in Talensi-Nabdam and they absolutely love it and all start shouting “YenMah” in unison.

Talensi-Nabdam Mining Area

This afternoon I’m on a tour of the local area starting in the mining area. 

It’s a sad sight to see the conditions children are living and working in here at the gold mines in Talensi. 

Please visit the area and take a look for yourself… Talensi-Nabdam Mining Area


 


Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Next we head off to the local livestock markets to see the sale of cattle, goats, fowl and dogs!  

In the Northern region many tribes consider dog meat a delicacy.  Being a dog owner, I feel rather uncomfortable seeing dogs for sale for human consumption.  The market trader, misinterpreting my anguish, explains that if I had arrived earlier in the day there would have been a much better selection of dogs to choose from!  I guess a lot of families are having dog for tea tonight. 

I can feel the midday sun burning through the high factor sun cream whilst out on the motorbike so it’s time to return to the shade of the compound for lunch.  Today Bridget is cooking Tuo Zaafi (known as TZ) which is made from ground maize and served with a fish stew.

The Founder of AfriKids 

Georgie Fienberg, the founder of AfriKids, calls by our family’s compound with Dr Jane to see how I’m getting on and to take some photos in situ with my family. The best moment is when we put up the British bunting (made by my friend Tessa) over the front door of the compound.  As it flaps in the wind, I explain to my host, Bridget, the importance of bunting in the UK (particularly in Edison Close, allegedly the “Bunting Capital of Europe”!).  Take a look at The A&O Alumni Team’s Experience Challenge photos here:  AfriKids Through a Lense

British bunting flying in Ghana!
 
Dancing in the Dark
 
With no electricity and the sun fading fast, I quickly take my bath having mastered the art of bathing in a bucket of cold water. 

In the dark, I sit down with my family for a dinner of Jollof rice (a spicy tomato and onion rice dish) served with chicken, making the schoolboy error of wearing my head torch to see what I’m eating.  Consequently, I end up eating more bugs than chicken as anything airborne is attracted directly toward the light!
 
Samuel arrives home with my material which has been expertly tailored into a dress – it’s wonderful and I am delighted (even though I can’t see it in the dark!).  The compound is then lit with candles in readiness for the local guitar  man who is coming over tonight to play the “collogo” and sing for us and our neighbours.   

Learning some African dance moves!

Playing the collogo!
 
The beat of the collogo music is intoxicating and after only half a STAR lager I’m up and dancing in the dark, learning some new dance moves! It’s a lively and entertaining evening dancing and playing the collogo.




No comments:

Post a Comment